Woking, Surrey, UK
BLOG & NEWS
Share on Twitter
Read more about us
ANTIQUE WALNUT BRITSIM ROLL TOP DESK
An exceptional Antique Walnut Roll Top Desk.
This rare roll top desk is a late Victorian twin-pedestal roll-top "Britsim
Desk'" made by G Alstrom, 76 Gt Eastern St., London, EC. The desk
is made from
straight grain walnut and was retailed by Thomas Clarkson & Sons, Furnishers, Snow
Hill, Wolverhampton (label still in place). A superb quality Antique
Roll Top Desk with many unique and
original features - see the gallery of photos and the features list below.
Not only is it a very practical desk for today's world
it is a magnificent and impressive piece of furniture in its own right and a
very interesting historic piece of Antique Office Furniture.
FEATURES - 4011 Antique Walnut
Roll Top Desk
- Exceptional and rare Antique Walnut Roll Top
Desk of "Britsim" design - late Victorian
- D-shaped tambour roll to the top, which
locks all of the drawers when in the closed position
- Polished and panelled side and rear elevations
- Plain polished top above the tambour
- Brass lever locks to the drawers, stamped
'R Cooper & Sons of Wolverhampton'
- Large polished writing surface with moulded
edge beneath the roll-top
- Original, good quality brass swan neck drawer handles
- Twin brass handles to the roll top, secured
with a central brass lock
- Tambour lock plate marked 'Britsim Desk,
Made by G Alstrom, 76 Gt Eastern St., London, EC.'
- Short square tapering legs to the pedestals
- Original brass wheeled castors, to the
- Four graduated drawers to the left-hand pedestals,
with dividers to the top drawer
- Double height ledger drawer to the
right-hand pedestal, with 2 vertical dividers
- Panelled modesty screen between the twin
- Writing slides to the top of both pedestals
- Wide central drawer above the kneehole
- Hand-cut dovetail joints to the drawers
- Retailers plate to the central drawer,
stamped 'Thomas Clarkson & Sons, Furnishers, Snow Hill, Wolverhampton.'
DIMENSIONS - 4011 Antique Walnut
Roll Top Desk
- Width = 60" (153cm). Depth = 33" (84cm)
- Kneehole width (measured between pedestals)
= 26" (66cm)
- Top surface = 60"(153cm) x 7"(18cm) x
39"(99cm) maximum height
- Polished writing surface = 56"(142cm) wide x
- Sitting or kneehole height (floor to the bottom of the
central drawer) = 24.5" (62cm)
- Writing surface height from floor = 31"
- Pedestal drawer widths (internal) = 12" (30cm)
- Pedestal drawer internal depths (front to back) =
- Central drawer width (internal) = 25" (64cm)
- Central drawer internal depth (front to back) =
Copyright © 2017 Antiquedesks.net - All Rights Reserved.